she's crafty

7.28.2011



Do any of you watch she's crafty on HGTV? Well, she always has the most interesting projects and it got me thinking, why don't I use do more "crafty" projects? Sometimes I get so caught up in designing on the computer that I forget that I am crafty and actually love using my hands to make stuff. I used to say (when I was a kid) that I could make anything out of anything, even a pop can and a piece of tape. I used to make flour babies with my cousin and play house. That was fun.



I found this old piece of wood outside by our shed and knew exactly what I wanted to do with. I've been seeing a huge trend in the wedding scene for hand painted signs on old wood. So, I printed out my text using Chevalier. Then I simply cut out the letters, traced around them on the wood and hand painted them with a Sharpie Paint Marker. But, because the wood is unfinished the paint kept soaking through so I decided to hand paint it with white acrylic. I think it turned out pretty good. It looks much better further away, because I am in no means a calligrapher or painter. But decent any way.





What do you think? What words would you write? I thought about my last name, but decided on Welcome instead. So fun!




The next project I was inspired to make was inspired by something I saw at Target, but didn't want to pay $20 for it. I said, I can make that! So I set off to design a fun swirly pattern. Then I cut it our using a silhouette machine. Simple as that. Glued it to some paper and put it in a frame. I found these frames at a local thrift shop for a few dollars each. They were exactly what I was looking for and were exactly the right size. I made the swirlys and cut them out first before I had the frames, not the best idea. Do you know how hard it is to find a square frame! Ridiculously hard!





This next project was a super easy and fun one. It's a thread holder.



I found this pin board at a thrift shop for a $1. I think it sat in my office for a few months before I decided what I wanted to do with it. First I painted it white. Then I stuffed felt under the frame and over the pin board. Then measured and put in the nails with a hammer. I had to glue cardboard on the back because the nails pointed through, OUCH! So there you have it. A simple tutorial on how to make a thread holder hanger thingy. I'm not sure what you call it. But it works!

3 comments:

nichole said...

which silhouette do you have? I didn't know you could still design and cut out?!?

your projects as usual are amazing! thanks for sharing.

Jenette said...

I love the silhouette project...man I need to get one of those...

Muffin said...

I used my super old imac and downloaded that program you told me about (the tutorial on your blog) and it worked. not sure which silhouette i borrowed, it was my sisters! she's the best right!